Erlang question on Artima blog

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Sun Mar 14 19:48:33 CET 2004

The real trick is to decide when to accept errors and when
not to.  You expect file:open/2 to always work and if it
doesn't you crash.  That one's easy.  When you are parsing
user input, like in a shell, you probably want to handle
unexpected data without crashing.  What about external
data arriving in a protocol?  If it doesn't obey the
protocol should you crash or should you treat it as the
user input case?  What about databases; if they don't
contain the data you expect should you crash?  Designing
an error handling strategy can be complicated.

	-Vance