Stand Alone Erlang

Hakan Mattsson hakan@REDACTED
Fri Mar 12 16:23:10 CET 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Peter-Henry Mander wrote:

> This has strengthened the argument for implementing future protocol
> stacks purely in Erlang. The SIP codec we've written in pure Erlang
> using binaries runs at comparable speeds to the Megaco stack, so I
> suspect the C driver doesn't confer a huge speed enhancement overall.
> Maybe only enough to be noticeble, not orders of magnitude. With
> concurrency thrown into the mix, the benefit may be moot.

There are two text scanners included in the Megaco application, one is
a C-driver and the other is written in plain Erlang. The performance
difference between the scanners is about a factor 10.

When decoding a Megaco text message, half of the time is parsing and
half is scanning when using the Erlang scanner. So even if the C
scanner is 10 times faster, the total performance gain for decoding
is not more than 2 times. If it is neglectible or not, is up to you to
decide.

/Håkan

---
Håkan Mattsson
Ericsson
High Availability Software, DBMS Internals
http://www.erlang.org/~hakan/

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption, interruption, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof.