ok or true? (fwd)

Richard Carlsson richardc@REDACTED
Thu Mar 4 16:43:53 CET 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, WILLIAMS Dominic wrote:

> Bengt Kleberg wrote:
>
> > this depends upon _which_ standard libraries one uses :-)
> > i recommend the package_libs(.tar.gz) bundle from ''richardc''.
> [...]
>
> So where is this package_libs from ''richardc'' available from?

I feel I must clarify some things here. I started out on a bold and
brave mission to create a set of new standard libraries, using the
module namespaces (packages). However, monsters ate my time, and all
that I have done so far is to put the Erlang built-in functions (all
currently in the module 'erlang') in different modules like
'erl.lang.tuple', 'erl.system.debug', etc., and renaming some functions.

My intention was to also change some of the function interfaces to make
them more systematic, e.g. use exceptions rather than {ok,X}/{error,R},
but right now they behave exactly like the corresponding bifs in the
'erlang' module. So everything is very provisional.

I also wrote a list of guidelines, which is what Bengt quoted.
As far as I know, he is probably the only one who actually picked
up on this project. (Is anybody else out there interested in this?
Please let me know so I can set a better priority level on it.)

I think the only really new code I have added to these libraries is the
'erl.lang.list' module, which contains some new/alternative list
functions. Oh, and some stuff for time and calendar. All the rest is
just empty wrappers right now.

	/Richard

PS. I have this curse that most of the Erlang code I write is for stuff
that has to work also with older versions of OTP; so I typically can't
use my own extensions. Bummer.

Richard Carlsson (richardc@REDACTED)   (This space intentionally left blank.)
E-mail: Richard.Carlsson@REDACTED	WWW: http://user.it.uu.se/~richardc/
 "Having users is like optimization: the wise course is to delay it."
   -- Paul Graham