Erlang.NET

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Tue Jun 29 09:44:31 CEST 2004

Dominic Williams wrote:

 > But it's hard to get excited about the idea...

There seem to have been a bunch of projects to compile XYZ to .NET,
and most of them seem to have stagnated about a year ago.

For instance, I started wondering how much work it would be to use
ETOS (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~etos/) and a Scheme->.NET compiler
together. A quick search with Google found these scheme compilers:

  http://rover.cs.nwu.edu/~scheme/
  http://radio.weblogs.com/0101156/stories/2002/03/19/tachy.html
  http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~jgrinbla/index.htm
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/luna-scheme/

All three of them have news items on the web page along the lines of
"February 2003: released sort-of working code, only a few major
features to go now". Maybe the devil is in the detail. Or maybe they
all got hired by Microsoft Research and are now working on Excel macro
toolkits. ;-)

Five years ago, compiling various languages to the Java VM was all the
rage, e.g. Kawa (http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/) was born about then.
Kawa seems to be moderately successful, it has a fairly lively mailing
list, but it doesn't seem to have made Scheme any more popular.

Matthias