Did Erlang borrow from Ada?

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Fri Jun 25 03:21:06 CEST 2004

As someone who has had a great deal to do with Prolog, I must say
that I find the claim that Prolog has only one algorithm ABSURD,
and the claim that algorithms written in Prolog have lots of cuts,
um, ill-informed.
If I recall Koawlski's phrase correctly, it was

    Logic + Control = Algorithm

These days, by the way, many of the more popular Prolog systems do
a lot more than unification and backtracking.  They support constraint
logic programming, to a greater or lesser degree.  The built-in "control"
is getting a bit more data-flow-driven.

However, anything you can program in a functional language, you can
program in Prolog, and in much the same way.  And when you discover that
SWI Prolog supports multi-thread programming (and even, sigh, has an
analogue of the process dictionary), you realise that from Erlang to
some modern Prologs could be quite a short step.  (OTP, now, that's
another matter.)

Hmm.  There's an Erlang-to-Scheme compiler.  Anyone for an
Erlang-to-SWI-Prolog compiler?  (:-)