Per process memory limits?

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Thu Jul 15 19:37:11 CEST 2004

Folks,

Why is it that we don't have a way of establishing a limit on
the size of a process's heap?  It is all too easy to run out
of memory and crash the whole VM.  One simple way to do so is
to use the report browser on too big a data set.  Now I know
you can set a limit when you start rb but if you don't, and
you allow too many files to be kept, you will crash the system.

Is there a fundamental reason why we can't just set a limit on
a processes heap size and crash the process when it is exceeeded?

	-Vance