mnesia, large datasets and key range lookups

Shawn Pearce spearce@REDACTED
Tue Jul 13 08:58:11 CEST 2004

This is where I wish mnesia had compound key indexes.  My suggestion
is pretty simple.  Add another attribute for the key and use that:

  -record(time_parameter, {key, time, parameter, value}).

  create_tables() ->
     mnesia:create_table(time_parameter,[{type, set},
                         {disc_only_copies, [node()]},
                         {attributes, record_info(fields, time_parameter)}]).

  make_key(#time_parameter{time=T, parameter=P}) ->
     {T, P}.

  add_sample(V) ->
     V2 = V#time_parameter{ key = make_key(V) },
     mensia:write(V2).

Then match becomes:

  dirty_para_request(Parameter, StartTime, EndTime) ->
      Sel = [{#time_parameter{parameter=Parameter,
                              key='$1', value='_'},
              [{'<',{const,{StartTime,Parameter}},'$1'},
               {'=<','$1',{const,{EndTime,Parameter}}}],
              ['$_']}],
      mnesia:dirty_select(time_parameter, Sel).

Hopefully this will make mnesia use a key range scan.  But note the
above is untested.  :)

I'm basing this on the fact that tuples are sortable.  However because
other parameters can exist for a given time value, I am still filtering
on the parameter attribute during the dirty_select.  Insert performance
is going to slow down as Mnesia must validate if the tuple is already in
the table or not.

Mnesia simply may not be the best database for your application.  You
might find other solutions based off pure dets, the gridfile contrib or
a SQL database to give you higher performance.

--
Shawn.