ANNOUNCE - graphics package

erlang@REDACTED erlang@REDACTED
Tue Jan 20 10:59:57 CET 2004

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 03:07:01PM +0100, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
>> I'd like to recommend some interesting reading
>> http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/fuchs95escaping.html, pleading for replacing the
>> event loop with continuation passing.
>
> another interesting read, from 1989 (cited in Fuch's paper too):
>
>   http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/pike89concurrent.html
>
> which advocates a concurrency oriented model for window systems.

Rob Pike also wrote acme, which in my eyes qualifies as a
"very-high-level user interface toolkit" (Luke Gorrie).  Its
programmable interface consists of a set of files and directories that
a "programmer" can query and/or write to.  You can find a paper on an
earlier version of acme (the current one uses a bit of colour and has
a few new features) at
http://inferno.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/acme/acme.html
(for some reason I can't get the pictures to show in that, so here's
the pdf link,
http://inferno.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/acme/acme.pdf).

There is also a clone for Unix called wily
(http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~oz/wily/), but its programmatic model is
completely different and uses sockets.

Robby