Small poll

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Wed Jan 14 09:05:08 CET 2004

Bjorn Gustavsson wrote:
> "Robert Virding" <robert.virding@REDACTED> writes:
>

>>This discussion just goes on :-)
>>3. With this in mind then Bjorn's new checks are probably a bad idea, the warnings become even more ad hoc and difficult to understand. I wonder if maybe some of the existing warnings should be removed. I still say that many of the warnings give very little and some are a right pain.***
>

> In old versions of OTP, there were warnings for imports that you didn't use
> and for exporting variables out of case statements. We have turned off those
> warnings by default.

Warning about exporting variables out of if/case/receive statements is
one one I would have left in as it is clearly dangerous. :-)

> Even if YOU don't like the _Varname convention, other people love it.

Fine, but why force it on me by default? Leave the warning in there but
let people who want it turn it on explicitly. Having it as default means
you are trying to enforce a certain style.

> There should really be a way to turn off the warnings for unused functions.
> We might add a mechanism in R10 for doing that.

Defintely add an option to turn warning about unused functions on and
off, but have the default value OFF.

Robert