optimization question

Carsten Schultz carsten@REDACTED
Sun Feb 22 13:23:17 CET 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 09:41:02AM +0100, Ketil Malde wrote:
> John Meacham <john@REDACTED> writes:
>
> > The reason I ask is I am writing someting which will generate large case
> > statements [over strings] and want to know if I should bother
> > pre-optimizing it to [search tries]¹
>
> I've no idea what compilers do,

I do not know either, but I think that optimizing pattern matching is
probably the one optimization that has been with compilers of
functional programs for ever, so I would assume the compiler to do a
pretty good job.

I am curious for an answer of someone who actually knows, though.

Greetings,

Carsten

--
Carsten Schultz (2:38, 33:47), FB Mathematik, FU Berlin
http://carsten.codimi.de/