Advantages of a large number of threads cf other approaches?

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Thu Feb 19 04:50:40 CET 2004

I wrote:
	> Did I mention that Smalltalk-80 has TWO key features?  OO is one, and
	> (simulated) concurrency is the other.
Joachim Durchholz <joachim.durchholz@REDACTED> replied:
	That would be interesting news to me - where is the concurrency in
	Smalltalk-80?

Fire up your copy of Squeak, open a Browser, and in the
Class Category pane in the top left corner you will see the
class category "Kernel-Processes".  Click on that, and in the
Class pane (second pane in the top row) you will see
    Delay
    EventSensor
    InputSensor
    Process
    ProcessorScheduler
    Semaphore
The classes Process, ProcessorScheduler, Semaphore, and Delay (at least)
are described in the classic Smalltalk-80 books by Goldberg et al.  (There
is only one ProcessorScheduler instance; it's called Processor).

For example, to create a new process, do

    [some message send that starts something interesting]
        forkAt: Processor userBackgroundPriority

I suspect that this stuff goes back to Smalltalk-78 or before.

(Oh, you don't have Squeak to check this out?  It's free.  www.squeak.org)