Advantages of a large number of threads cf other approaches?

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Wed Feb 18 18:39:58 CET 2004

* Joachim Durchholz <joachim.durchholz@REDACTED> [2004-02-18 17:54:13 +0100]:

> Vance Shipley wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:15:13PM +0100, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> >}
> >}  AFAIK there's already a load balancing package for web services, written
> >}  in Erlang. (Sorry I forgot the name...)
> >
> >Eddie:	http://eddie.sourceforge.net/
>
> Even seems to be active too - there's a changelog entry that relates to
> making it run on R9B.

I have been maintaining it and did the modification for Erlang R9B. I
was planning to do the same for R9C.

> Not sure why it isn't advertised more...

The code is big and sometime comment in swedish ;-) and the original
team does not work on it anymore.

> anyway, it should scale Yaws to multiple machines with little effort.
> (Doesn't seem to help with utilizing multi-processor machines
> though... that seems to be something that should be done at the VM
> level.)

I think, for Yaws, maybe a more straightforward approach would be
better. Eddieware was essentially made for web scale load balancing
(global scale). It make the assumption that machine are not all running
on the same LAN.
The load balancing schema is mostly DNS based.

For more classical, LAN cluster load balancing other approach could be
valid. However, I think Eddieware is still interesting (It does
acceptation control to prevent user from accessing the cluster if
resource are insufisant to ensure proper response time for already
logged user; load balancing can be based on real server load, ...)

If there is interest in Eddieware, we could discuss together how to make
it revive. I have already been asked for bind9 support instead of Bind4.

Please, if there is interest in it, ask now :-)

--
Mickaël Rémond
 http://www.erlang-projects.org/