Embedded System with Yaws on Windows

klacke@REDACTED klacke@REDACTED
Tue Feb 17 14:42:36 CET 2004

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 08:32:44AM +0200, Rudolph van Graan wrote:
> Hi,
>

> >ve been reviewing the code and searching the Yaws and Erlang list
> >archives, looking/hoping for a solution short of the "surgery" that
> >you mention. So far, the answer (if there is one) eludes me. But I'm
> >not the brightest guy in the world... Hopefully someone in the group
> >can help us. If not, I'll attempt to develop and post a "Cygwin Free"
> >patch. I'm sure that we're not the only ones who desire this
> >capability.
> >

> Put it this way, I've managed to almost de-cygwin yaws last night, but
> maybe Klacke can tell us what we really need to do, or can do, to make
> yaws work? What specifically does yaws use the setuid driver for? Is it
> only for the case where one would install yaws as root and then change
> the uid to something else?

This is what the driver is used for. In the yaws code, the configure
script on cygwin disables the driver entirely. The set_uid feature
isn't suppurted under cygwin. The reason for this was just to make
yaws more easily deployed on win32 platform.

I don't understand why you are fiddling with the set_uid driver
since it was removed from win32 build looong time ago.

What's worse in the de-cygwin procedure though are the
Makefiles and the build scripts. On the other hand if you want
to run yaws embedded inside your other win32/erl app, all you
need to do is:

- drop yaws source into your app/lib/yaws

Integrate with build procedure of your app. Take a look
at build procedure under cygwin in order to figure out how
to not use the linked in driver code at all.  Basically all it takes
is to not have the driver installed at all and _not_ use the
the 'username' feature in the config.

This should be pretty straightforward ......

/klacke

--
Claes Wikstrom                        -- Caps lock is nowhere and
http://www.hyber.org                  -- everything is under control