Ports under windows

Rudolph van Graan rvg@REDACTED
Mon Feb 16 06:51:12 CET 2004

Hi All,

Today has been one of total frustration. We are trying to get a driver
working as a port under windows. If you compile the example driver in
the Interoperability tutorial using GCC in cygwin, it works perfectly.
If you compile it under win32, specifically using Borland C++ Builder
it doesn't. The erlang side of things always receive data from the
port, but the win32 flavour of the driver just gets stuck in  read()
[from stdin]. We have to make the driver work with another [Delphi
based] program, so we cannot use GCC. [We have tried all the
"open_port" variations, including use_stdin, nouse_stdin, stream,
binary, {packet, X}, etc etc]

Here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q190351
microsoft gives an example of a stdio based program. If we try to get
the client portion [child.c at the bottom] to read from the erlang
data, it simply hangs in readfile.

We've also built a delphi version of these programs, using various ways
of getting to stdin [win32 readfile, assignfile(), etc]

So, what does erlang do different from other win32 based stdio
applications, that is different under cygwin? The only included port in
erlang that I know of, is ODBC and that is compiled by gcc, so it
doesn't help me much here.

Anyone that got a Delphi/Borland C++ based port running in Erlang? What
are the tricks? I would like to test with MS Visual C++, but don't
currently have access to it.

Regards,

Rudolph van Graan