List comprehension or lists:foldl/3 ?

Thomas Arts thomas.arts@REDACTED
Fri Feb 13 08:29:48 CET 2004

Hi Shawn

I was just going to write basically the same as Christ wrote.
You are not interested in the result of the monitor calls. Hence,
why would you construct a list in memory, that is garbage
directly after the call?

>From your question I also deduced that you see foldl and
list-comprehension as similar concepts. However, a
list-comprehension is more comparable to a map or
better a map with a filter application. Fold over a list
could well result in something completely different than
a list (e.g. a number).

The lists:foreach/2 function is like a map when you
are only interested in the side-effects. I prefer that
one in this case.

/Thomas

---
Dr Thomas Arts