file: module and character special files

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Mon Feb 2 10:23:57 CET 2004

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:04:52 +0100, WILLIAMS Dominic
<D.WILLIAMS@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding this discussion of blocking I/0:
>
> Does the Erlang VM itself block? Otherwise, isn't it possible
> just to perform IO using the existing API of the file module in
> a spawned Erlang process, which sends the bytes via Erlang messages
> as they become available?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dominic.

See other ongoing discussion about slow file systems.
The VM will block on file IO unless you enable the thread pool
(the -A <number of threads> flag, see the erts manual)

On behalf of all Erlang hackers at Ericsson, I sincerely apologize
for the breach of netiquette which is nowadays forced upon us by
the central mail servers at Ericsson. As the sig says, if you find
this message at all interesting, and it wasn't addressed to you,
you should forget you ever read it. Therefore, I hereby authorize
any and all persons to review my messages posted to the
erlang-questions list, and declare that any such messages are in
no way confidential.

/Uffe
--
Ulf Wiger, Senior System Architect
EAB/UPD/S

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption, interruption, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof.