Beginner: Unexplained network behavior

Sean Hinde sean.hinde@REDACTED
Mon Apr 26 23:10:27 CEST 2004

Hi,

On 23 Apr 2004, at 16:23, Aaron Hunter wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A long time Java developer I recently discovered Erlang and am very
> impressed. With a few improvements Erlang could very well be a J2EE
> killer.

Been there, done that (actually I need to be careful as our J2EE
replacing system is not live yet...)

> I wrote this simple module to explore how sockets work in Erlang but
> am puzzled by its behavior. It is supposed to scan 254 IP's
> simultaneously. looking for HTTP servers. Over the course of several
> runs, however, it gives me different answers and often misses HTTP
> servers.
>
> Can someone point out what I am doing wrong?
> Thank you.

A couple of things could be improved:

1. If you use spawn_link rather than spawn then you guarantee to get a
message of some sort from each spawned process, even if it crashes. If
you use proc_lib:spawn_link, and have the sasl application running then
you will also get nicely formatted crash reports if any process exits
abnormally.

2. The documentation :-(. gen_tcp:connect/2 can actually throw an
exception if it fails to connect rather than returning {error, Reason}.
The implementation from gen_tcp.erl is:

connect(Address, Port, Opts, Time) ->
     Timer = inet:start_timer(Time),
     Res = (catch connect1(Address,Port,Opts,Timer)),
     inet:stop_timer(Timer),
     case Res of
	{ok,S} -> {ok,S};
	{error, einval} -> exit(badarg);
	{'EXIT',Reason} -> exit(Reason);
	Error -> Error
     end.

The combination of these two things means that you could get your
result.

The lesson for you is to use spawn_link anywhere you are spawning a
process to do some work where you always want an answer.

It is unfortunate in the light of your opening comments that you have
run into a documentation error so soon in your experimentation. I would
say that the documentation is generally pretty accurate, but still
could do with some work on return values here and there.

Best of luck with Erlang.

Regards,
Sean