Listening to Multicast.

Eric Newhuis enewhuis@REDACTED
Mon Apr 26 21:57:58 CEST 2004

No.  He's looking for information on how to do a recvfrom on an IP
multicast channel, which is essentially a UDP datagram after joining
the multicast group.  (IP class D addressing)

 From http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/18925

Berkeley Sockets Multicast APIs The Berkeley Sockets Multicast APIs are
the same as those described by Steve Deering (as mentioned earlier).
They complement the existing Berkeley Sockets APIs, which were designed
to allow creating of network applications using virtually any network
protocol suite, including TCP/IP, the so-called “Internet address
family.” All of the Berkeley multicast APIs use the setsockopt()
“socket option” function to initiate their actions  (and for some
options, the getsockopt() function is also available to retrieve the
current setting). IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP to join a multicast group on a
specific interface IP_DROP_MEMBERSHIP to leave a multicast group (no
protocol action initiated with IGMP v1, but there is with IGMP v2)
IP_MULTICAST_IF to set or get default interface for use with multicast
sends IP_MULTICAST_LOOP to disable loopback of outgoing multicast
datagrams IP_MULTICAST_TTL to set the IP time-to-live of outgoing
multicast datagrams. Table 2: Summary of BSD set/getsockopt() multicast
commands The setsockopt() IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP function is the most
significant of all the APIs, in several respects.  It is required to
receive any datagrams destined for the specified multicast (group)
address.  Unlike other socket options, it actually initiates some
network activity; it causes the underlying IP protocol stack to issue
an IGMP (Internet Group Message Protocol) host membership report to
notify the local router(s) of the group membership, as prescribed by
RFC 1112. For an example of how to use these de facto standard
multicast APIs, see the “Code Samples” section of this white paper.