node connections

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Wed Apr 21 08:21:03 CEST 2004

Dustin Sallings writes:

 > Anyone got any tips on making node connections? I've got a couple of
 > nodes, but I can't seem to get them talking to each other.
 >
 > I'm not even completely sure how to address the other box. Here's what
 > I've got:
 >
 > (rubik@REDACTED)1> node().
 > 'rubik@REDACTED'
 >
 > (dustinti@REDACTED)1> node().
 > 'dustinti@REDACTED'
 > (dustinti@REDACTED)2> net_adm:ping(rubik).
 > pang
 > (dustinti@REDACTED)3>
 > net_adm:ping(rubik@REDACTED).
 > pang
 > (dustinti@REDACTED)4>
 > net_adm:ping('rubik@REDACTED').
 > pang
 > (dustinti@REDACTED)5> nodes().
 > []

Have you tried something simple first, like connecting two nodes on
the same machine?

window1:  erl -name a@REDACTED -setcookie blaha

window2:  erl -name b@REDACTED -setcookie blaha

window1:  net:ping('a@REDACTED').
          pong

There are a number of possible problems, some of which could be
eliminated if I could guess what your command lines were, which Erlang
release(s) you're running and which OS your machines are running. But
my remote mind-reading powers aren't in such top form right now.

Matthias