How to make GS Widgets

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Thu Apr 15 10:28:35 CEST 2004

Hello Cedric,

Nice.

Let me dodge your questions and instead volunteer a suggestion
on a minor aspect of programming style:   (:

	if
		is_tuple(SuppliedColor), size(SuppliedColor) == 3 ->
			{Red, Green, Blue} = SuppliedColor;
		true ->
			{Red, Green, Blue} = {0, 0, 0}
	end,

If we tell the compiler to be a bit picky, it will warn against
this type of code:

erlc -W +warn_export_vars mywidgets.erl
/home/etxuwig/work/erlang/mywidgets.erl:44: Warning: variable 'Red' exported from 'if' (line 35)
/home/etxuwig/work/erlang/mywidgets.erl:47: Warning: variable 'Green' exported from 'if' (line 35)
/home/etxuwig/work/erlang/mywidgets.erl:50: Warning: variable 'Blue' exported from 'if' (line 35)

A very straightforward fix is:

   {Red, Green, Blue} =
	if
		is_tuple(SuppliedColor), size(SuppliedColor) == 3 ->
			SuppliedColor;
		true ->
			{0, 0, 0}
	end,

Personally, I was a bit surprised that the compiler doesn't actually
issue a warning when compiling mywidgets.erl, since Red, Green and
Blue are in fact referred to after the 'if' expression.

>From the man page for 'compile':

"warn_export_vars
Causes warnings to be emitted for all implicitly exported variables referred to
after the primitives where they were first defined. No warnings for exported
variables unless they are referred to in some pattern, which is the default,
can be selected by the option nowarn_export_vars. "

After a short experiment, I understand that the operative phrase is
"in some pattern", but it's too early in the morning for me to grasp
why one needs to issue warnings when implicitly exported variables are
used in patterns, and not when they are used in expressions.

/Uffe