Erlang, Strings, Mnesia?

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin@REDACTED
Thu Apr 8 16:53:02 CEST 2004

Hello,

I am trying to understand whether or not Erlang is right or a good
option for a website I am building.

Currently I am processing 422,000 files with 6.6gb of text to place in a
database. I will have to regularly parse and process large volumes of
textual data.

The database will initially have 4-5 million rows/objects.

This data in turn will be searchable. A prime purpose of the data.

On this page of the Mnesia User Guide it says:
#http://www.erlang.se/doc/doc-5.3/lib/mnesia-4.1.4/doc/html/Mnesia_chap1.html#1
#
#On the other hand, Mnesia may not be appropriate with the following
#types of applications:
#
#    * Programs that process plain text or binary data files

I am used to Squeak and Python and native string support.

I understand well Erlang's strengths. I don't understand where it is weak.

An example.

Would Erlang be suitable for a Google type site?
An Amazon? An eBay?

Any wisdom, advise welcome and appreciated.

Jimmie Houchin