erlang ground breaking?

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Wed Apr 7 14:42:58 CEST 2004

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 14:07:40 +0200, Ulf Wiger <ulf.wiger@REDACTED>
wrote:

> I stumbled across a Wiki list of "ground breaking languages"
>
> http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?GroundBreakingLanguages
>
> Erlang is listed as the "interesting and useful" but not necessarily
> ground breaking.
>
> If anyone feels differently, there's a discussion page where you can
> voice your opinion.
>
> Personally, I can't make up my mind as to whether Erlang is truly
> ground breaking, but am not going to lose any sleep over it.

I think that is the addition of several concepts that could make Erlang
"ground breaking" (I do not know what this really means however).
Concurrency alone, as stated on the page is not ground breaking, but for
example the organisation of programs into a supervision tree seems to be a
powerfull, innovative and maybe ground breaking idea.

cheers,

--
Mickaël Rémond
  http://www.erlang-projects.org/