UDP over v6: payload truncated at 1024 bytes

Fredrik Thulin ft@REDACTED
Mon Apr 5 14:37:11 CEST 2004

On Monday 05 April 2004 14.10, Peter Lund wrote:
> At least in IPv4 (and TCP) you cannot ever count on any packet
> of any size to arrive at the destination without being fragmented
> into 2 or more parts. If this is different for UDP and in v6,
> I do not know. But hopefully someone else can tell...

But surely the operating system should re-assemble the two fragments before
passing it to the application, even for UDP, no?

Forgot to mention some facts in my original post : Erlang is R9C-0. Both hosts
are connected to the same Ethernet segment and the MTU is 1500, so there
really should be no fragmentation of UDP packet with 1343 bytes payload.

Operating system on both sending and receiving hosts is Linux, running a
RedHat kernel called 2.4.20-30.7.

/Fredrik