Language change proposal

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Thu Oct 23 08:37:32 CEST 2003

From: "Shawn Pearce" <spearce@REDACTED>
> If an application really MUST split into different code based on
> different language versions, use different 'inner' modules.
> Define functions in those modules which implement the given required
> feature X on each language version, or have feature X throw/exit an error if
> the platform cannot perform it.

I think this might be nicest, but it is a matter of taste.

> It might also be nice to define other dependencies such as:
>
> -require(stdlib, "5.3").
>
> to indicate that this module would need a version of stdlib that understand
> the calls available in version 5.3 of stdlib.

Mmm, wouldn't there be confusions with the stdlib application's version? After
all, as user of stdlib, I don't care what it's using inside, just what
interfaces it has. So in this case i'd expect to check stdlib's version - but if
things are going to be added and deprecated and removed, after 3-4 passes it
might become quite difficult to find out which versions will work and which ones
don't.

regards,
Vlad