Try/Cond

Francesco Cesarini francesco@REDACTED
Wed Oct 22 08:39:04 CEST 2003

Yes, I agree that there are flaws in the semantics of catch and throw.
But in my 8 years of working with Erlang, only once did I see a problem
with them:

X = (catch foo(Y)),
ets:insert(bar, {Y, X}).

All the other times, we solved the problem with the simple design rule:

Do not use catch and throw.

With the introduction of OTP in 1996, I have never seen anyone use exit
in their code. The few catches and throws I came across were easily
rewritten into a more purely functional style.

Yes, it would have been nice with better separated semantics for exit,
catch and throw from the start, but I do not see the need to resolve
this issue now, considering that it is not causing problems. The issue
will not be resolved anyhow, as catch, throw and exit will still remain
in the language in the same format they exist in today. (Or is the plan
to remove some other feature when introducing try and cond?)

Regards,
Francesco
--
http://www.erlang-consulting.com