Erlang is getting too big

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Mon Oct 13 20:22:13 CEST 2003

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 02:38:36PM +0200, Joe Armstrong wrote:
}
}    I think it would greatly improve things if we could release the
}  basic language stuff, OTP and the applications separately - so that the"
}  distinctions become clearer.

I could't agree more.  The fact that if one were to want to take Erlang
for a test drive that they would find themselves building things with
Java, CORBA, SNMP, etc. is exactly what Sean is warning about.

I think it is important to understand what OTP is (and isn't).  This is
difficult for people new to the environment as it is because there are
no clear lines.  Having an erlang:spawn and a proc_lib:spawn is just
confusing when you're just trying to learn the language.  A core
language distribution would make things much clearer.

As to the addition of new features I wouldn't want to think that we
were going to stagnate.  What of try/cond which have been on the way
for a long time?  I'd like to see them added.

	-Vance