Erlang is getting too big

Eric Merritt cyberlync@REDACTED
Mon Oct 13 15:15:22 CEST 2003

--- Mike Williams <mike@REDACTED> wrote:
> Sean,
>
> Thanks, I have been shouting this for anout the last
> four years.
> At this stage of Erlang's development, it is far
> better to live
> with what we have got "warts and all". It is easy to
> add things,
> it is impossible to take things away. Continuously
> adding things to
> the language will just land us with a monster which
> nobody will
> addopt.

 Why is it impossible to take something away? If you
give ample warning, say depricating a feature two or
three releases before it goes away, and provide a very
clear migration path to new features it should not be
a problem to remove features. If a client doesn't want
to modify his source he always has the option of not
upgrading past the point where a depricated feature is
removed.