essential Erlang

Scott Lystig Fritchie fritchie@REDACTED
Sat Oct 4 08:40:59 CEST 2003

>>>>> "vd" == Vlad Dumitrescu <vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED> writes:

vd> That's a problem for me too. I hear EDTK is a good tool, but it
vd> doesn't work on Windows.

I haven't tried it on Windows.  Silly me.  Sorry.

As far as I know, there isn't a reason why EDTK couldn't be used by
Windows BEAM, aside from replacing the UNIX-specific parts and
replacing them with Windows equivalents.  After all, the same
port<->driver interface is the same.  I just don't have the time to do
it and the hardware & OS licenses to check that it works.

Most of the driver code, both on the Erlang side and on the BEAM/C
side, is boilerplate.  In fact, it was so much so that I tried
implementing the code generators using an XML template processor.  And
it worked.  And it was easy to write.  And it didn't suck horribly
like XSLT, which could've been a similar option for implementing EDTK
... except for the fact that XSLT is IMHO an abomination.

If you wanted to extract the boilerplate from EDTK and use it to
create your own one-off driver or an entirely new driver generator,
it's only a matter of time & typing.  (And caffiene and other critical
resources :-)  Any Windows-specific things could probably be figured
out by looking at the Windows flavor of existing drivers.

Wishing he had more time to continue EDTK development....

-Scott

http://www.snookles.com/erlang/edtk/