Enterprise Erlang Beams?

Mikael Karlsson mikael.karlsson@REDACTED
Mon Nov 3 00:59:33 CET 2003

Hi,

sorry for a bit slow response on this topic but I hope things are not (dead)
cold.

I had a some kind of analogy in mind, but the idea is quite vague. What I like
about EJB containers is the transaction support that means that you should
not need to worry about the transaction yourself. It comes "for free" in some
kind of declarative manner.

Leaving out all the problems with security, for the moment, the analogy would
be to spawn off a gen_server  (or gen_fsm for a stateful session bean?) as a
worker thread within a transaction. Parts of the contents of the server State
could map to the persistent store and be used at commit/fallback time,
without the gen_server explicitly taking part in the transaction.

One could maybe even have some kind of persistent behaviour were the
gen_server is spawned with a state that is restored from the database. (It
could be spawned on another node as well.)

Regards
Mikael