HIPE'd stdlib modules rule !!!

Eric Newhuis enewhuis@REDACTED
Fri May 23 21:16:41 CEST 2003

My app was slow, relatively speaking ~ 20% CPU on an arbitrary peice of
iron.

I HIPE'd the orddict.beam file (erlc +native orddict.beam) and now the
same app is fast, relatively speaking ~ 5% CPU on that same arbitrary
peice of iron.

Is there an Erlang Makefile option I missed that HIPEs everything?  Or
have I stumbled onto something new?  Were there former recommendations
against HIPEing the standard Erlang library modules?

Now that I've got this performance kicker I don't want to go back to the
non-HIPE'd modules.  Am I cutting against the grain?  Will Armstrong
hunt me down?

An inquiring mind wants to know.