odd problem with distributed erlang system

Raimo Niskanen raimo.niskanen@REDACTED
Mon Mar 31 13:30:56 CEST 2003

I have had a probably related problem.

It was on Debian 3.0 (Linux 2.4.18 kernel) with OTP R9B and an
automounted NFS volume. I had lots of problems to make the automounter
use the mount options I wanted, partly because the automounter I used
(amd) seems to not use the mount command, but a library API, so when I
was done I had changed automounters, written some weird scripts, etc.

But if I try to get down to the core of the problem:

Writing a file on the NFS volume took forever (some 10..100 times slower
than local disk). The file was opened with file:open(Name, [write,
delayed_write, binary]) so small writes were buffered up to 64 KBytes
(default for delayed_write). The writes were small, one line at the
time. (This is probably the way disk_log does it too, by the way)

What happened was that the file driver buffered write request up to 64
KBytes, but to minimize copying they are queued, and later written using
writev() with a vector of 1024 (on the Linux in question) small buffers.
Some code in the Linux kernel that writes the data on the NFS filesystem
(or the NFS code itself) then chops this up into 1024 write requests
over NFS instead of holding the writev request together. The NFS volume
was synchronously monted which resulted in about 4 NFS messages back and
forth for each write request. Performance sucked.

The solution was to not mount the volume synchronously, i.e I added the
mount options: "async,actimeou=0". The "actimeout=0" flag sets attribute
caching timeout to 0, which is pretty syncronous, and will do for me.

With these mount options the NFS filesystem realizes that it can bundle
those 1024 small buffers into one write request, with some handshaking
around it, and it goes as fast as one can expect.

/ Raimo Niskanen, Erlang/OTP