Complexity Shock Horror II: the Sequel (was Re: MD5 in erlang

Raimo Niskanen raimo.niskanen@REDACTED
Sun Mar 30 03:21:09 CEST 2003

I am about to add your requested functionality to io_lib:format, so I
thought about adding these BIFs too, but it turned out that it was hard
to decide what they should do, exactly: Erlang-style prefix or not,
lowercase or UPPERCASE or selectable and how to select, how to select
any-base for list_to_integer/2, etc.

It started to seem that an option list was needed with quite some
options, and then they suddenly did seem too complicated to be BIFs.

So I hope it will do to use something like
lists:flatten(io_lib:format("~16b", [Integer])).

If it is necessary for performance reasons, we might add these BIFs later.

/ Raimo Niskanen, Erlang/OTP