eXene

Jay Nelson jay@REDACTED
Mon Mar 24 15:47:00 CET 2003

C. Reinke wrote:

>      [for those who haven't come accross Petri nets, see:
>       http://www.daimi.au.dk/PetriNets/ ]

I had forgotten about these.  Will read up to jog my memory.

>Sounds pretty general-purpose (and concurrent) to me.

I like the sounds of the concurrent processes interpretation.
OO seems so different than what he described.  I never did
any SmallTalk, but read the SmallTalk 80 book to learn about
design.  I liked it at the time, but the class hierarchy was so
big it seemed difficult to become proficient.  I really wanted to
code it after reading the book, though.

>   "I made up the term 'object-oriented', and I can tell you I didn't
>    have C++ in mind" - Alan Kay, OOPSLA '97

Bingo.  That is very funny!

>Another way I like to phrase it: users are not dummies, they are
>domain experts (though their domain is usually not computers or
>software); they don't want computer experts to give them lots of
>words (applications), they need a tailor-made language in which they
>can express their domain knowledge to tackle their daily problems.

I like this.  I had overlooked the fact that the users are domain
experts.  That is a good concept to keep in mind.

jay