Statefulness = "Processness"...?

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Thu Mar 13 18:47:36 CET 2003

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 10:04:32AM -0500, Shawn Pearce wrote:
}
}  I think an example of a text box changing as you type is the popup
}  list of websites you have recently visited in Mozilla or IE which
}  match what you have typed thus far, or the programs you have run
}  recently from the Windows 'Run' dialog.  That list changes every time
}  another key is entered and matched against the list of what is known.

Another example is something which I've always wanted but have never
found and that is a dynamic command completion functionality.  I want
to waste computer cycles constantly trying to predict what I'm going
to say next.  This is similiar to the command completion in shells but
with those you have to ask for the predictions by pressing TAB.  The
way I'd like to have it is that a prediction is made with every key I
press, taking the context into account and having learned from working
with me.  The predictions show up as faint text balancing visibility
with distraction.  If I type "Va" I would see "nce Shipley\nMotivity
Telecom Inc.\n+1 519 240 3684\nvances@REDACTED\n" show up after it
and I could selct all of that with a single key.  Now that's a dynamic
text box.

	-Vance

Vance Shipley
Motivity Telecom Inc.