OTP or not to OTP

Shawn Pearce spearce@REDACTED
Mon Mar 3 13:06:10 CET 2003

Sean Hinde <Sean.Hinde@REDACTED> wrote:
> gen_server really works in most cases and has been designed to provide
> exactly the framework you are after. I would be surprised if you didn't end
> up re-inventing it almost the same if you made your own

After writing a non-gen_server this weekend, and then a gen_server
(different task, but still), I have to say, you might have to be
either nuts or Joe to think about not using gen_server.  I wound
up writing almost everything gen_server gives you already in much
longer code, but not as good of a solution.

Considering I'm on the Erlang platform partly for the OTP release
handling, and partly for the OTP accelerated development, I'm crazy
to think I can (as an Erlang hack, not expert!) build OTP overnight
and better for my application then these fine folks have done with
OTP.

After 8 hours of Erlang hacking last night, I have to tip my hat
to the OTP developers and say "THANK YOU!".

--
Shawn.

  Q:	How many journalists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
  A:	Three.  One to report it as an inspired government program to bring
  	light to the people, one to report it as a diabolical government plot
  	to deprive the poor of darkness, and one to win a Pulitzer prize for
  	reporting that Electric Company hired a light bulb-assassin to break
  	the bulb in the first place.