trap_exit with gen_server?

Shawn Pearce spearce@REDACTED
Mon Mar 3 07:09:28 CET 2003

Ok, this is an odd one for me.  I thought that setting
process_flag(trap_exit, true), would allow my gen_server
module to receive the {'EXIT',Pid,Reason} message from
the handle_info/2 callback.

Apparently on line 412 of gen_server.erl in RB9-0 the
gen_server behavior now traps the exit messages and calls
terminate.  So linked processes will always take down my
gen_server.

Line 52 of gen_server.erl seems to indicate that handle_info/2
can be used to receive exit messages from linked processes without
the gen_server crashing.  :)

I guess I shouldn't link to my gen_server unless I want the
gen_server to crash when the linked processes crash.  :)
Since this is in an OTP supervision tree, and I'm using
erlang:monitor/2 now to watch processes, so this behavior is
ok, but not expected.

--
Shawn.

  Do what comes naturally.  Seethe and fume and throw a tantrum.