A Joeish Erlang distribution (long)

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Wed Jan 29 01:31:19 CET 2003

Torbjorn Tornkvist wrote:

>> I am currently evaluating Erlang with a view to adopting it for a
>> railway traffic supervision system.
>>
> Ahh...I remember a nice little hack I, Magnus and Robert wrote once:
> We wrote a train supervision/control system for a Maerklin railway set
> that we showed at a big fair here in Stockholm. Robert wrote the control
> parts, dealing with sensors and switches etc, and Magnus and I wrote  the
> GUI which consisted of an exact drawing of the real setup, where you
> could see where the different trainset were etc. Those were the days... :-)

I have still got the ATC stuff somewhere as well. I remember that it was
fault tolerant (of course :-) as well because Marklin digital sensors
sometimes missed or gave spurious signals. If it got something it didn't
understand then it would just stop the train. The core was suprising
simple as well. Rogers dsiplay was much more complex.

Robert