A Joeish Erlang distribution (long)

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Wed Jan 29 01:25:34 CET 2003

Yes Joe I completley agree! This is a change I have been pushing for years.

The core should be small, correct and not contain gen_* etc. Put these
in a separate package which people can include when needed. They should
also be rewritten only to use the stuff in the core. It is very
important to get proper layering so as not to have the all-or-nothing
situation of today. especially when it is not needed.

I think the lower layers should be something like:

Layer 0 - the emulator and BIF modules (BIFs are part of the language
           when you think about it)

Layer 1 - small basic kernel + stdlib

Layer 2 - this would contain other orthogonal groups which only use
           layer 0+1, e.g.
         - compiler
         - gen_* supervisor etc

Layer 3 - applications built on layer 0+1+2

etc.

I use groups here instead of calling them applications or packages so as
not to clash with the existing ue of the words.

It is very important that different groups in a layer only depend on
lower layers and not on other groups within the same layer.

Strict layering like this would make it easier to build streamlined
applications as dependencies would be easy to trace. Now it is a mess,
look at all the modules loaded just to get a prompt. Joe found he needed
something like 30 modules just to run the compiler.

Note that this in no way stops Richard Carlssons packages, the groups
above could be packages.

Robert