A Joeish Erlang distribution (long)

Joakim G. jocke@REDACTED
Tue Jan 28 12:17:35 CET 2003

WILLIAMS Dominic wrote:
>>From: Joakim G. [mailto:jocke@REDACTED]
>>
>>[...]
>>What I meant was that new small and/middle sized software projects is
>>IMO advised to avoid gen_servers, supervisors, application
>>controllers,
>>appup, relup, boot scripts, gen_fsm, release_handler and the stuff
>>described in the "OTP Design Principles".
>>
>>It scares Erlang newcomers sh?tless.
>
> Sorry, but I am an Erlang newcomer, and the OTP Design Principles and
 > implementation of design patterns and architectural modules, and all the
 > production tools (boot scripts etc.), are among the things that attract
 > me to Erlang!

That is nice (for Erlang/OTP). I doubt that you are that representative
though. _One_ of the reasons for Erlang not having the same user base as
for example python is the steep OTP learning curve.

Cheers
/Jocke
--
If you think the pen is mightier than the sword, the next time someone
pulls out a sword I'd like to see you get up there with your Bic.