A Joeish Erlang distribution (long)

Roger roger@REDACTED
Tue Jan 28 00:20:47 CET 2003

I'm an erlang newbie. I think the language and it's distribution have a lot of potential. I would not suggest to take any of the packages out at this point. I would consider mnesia to be one of the killer apps of erlang. Try and create your own persistent (and even replicated) database in java or anything else, good luck, goodbye :-)

I would definitly loose the OTP references though. It scared me ! When you talk about how it runs the routers in the various telecom companies, it causes all kinds of misconceptions.

I would market erlang as a distributed, fault tolerant, send and pray semantics functional language. (Joe, did I miss anything).

The main complaint I would have is that it doesn't have multibyte support. Other than that, I think it's pretty darn good.
Wrt documentation, it would be great if all the pdf doc could zipped for download somewhere on the Erlang website (currently it's on a file by file basis, and web spiders don't work either).
Another point of advocay, we should rank higher on the shootout list :-)
http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/

anyway, just my ramblings ..

-Roger