A Joeish Erlang distribution (long)

Martin Bjorklund mbj@REDACTED
Mon Jan 27 16:11:33 CET 2003

"Chappell, Simon P" <Simon.Chappell@REDACTED> wrote:

> >I would strongly oppose this view as it can easily kill
> >Erlang. You cannot
>
> All of the evidence that I have seen shows the opposite to be
> true. Linux certainly does not seem to be in danger of dying out. I
> think a web-oriented Erlang would be just the way to spark people
> into looking into it more.

I agree.  But the alternative distrib should be just that - I think
the language should be exactly the same (and probably the runtime too,
although this is probably not essential).  An alternative would be if
the OTP release could be made more modular as Joe suggested.

Linux does have some problems with different "patches" in different
distribs.  Just as one example, see the libpcap stuff...

/martin