Structs (was RE: Record selectors)

Richard Carlsson richardc@REDACTED
Tue Jan 21 15:39:53 CET 2003

I've been postponing reading this thread properly since it exploded
on the list, but I've finally got some time to catch up.

Joe wrote:

>   One thing I haven't investigated is the interaction between this and
> the packages stuff.
>
>   "." (DOT)  is getting  pretty overloaded -  so ~A.tag  might collide
> with the dot notation used  in packages (perhaps Richard could comment
> on this)

Eh, in fact it's not a problem with packages. The problem is that
the Thing.tag notation (where Thing is anything that's not an atom)
is already stolen by the fairly obscure Mnemosyne syntax. (It denotes
a record access to some implicitly-named record - I don't even want
to know the details.)

Anyhow, this reminds me that I actually would like to ask this
eminent list whether the Mnemosyne syntax could be lifted out of
the Erlang language - instead one could have a separate preprocessor
for those that use Mnemosyne, creating Normal Erlang (TM) files
from ".erm" files or whatever. Would this be a too big penalty
on some people out there?

	/Richard

Richard Carlsson (richardc@REDACTED)   (This space intentionally left blank.)
E-mail: Richard.Carlsson@REDACTED	WWW: http://user.it.uu.se/~richardc/