Erland Paradign and OO paradigm!

roger roger@REDACTED
Mon Jan 20 01:47:49 CET 2003

Hi, this is answered by the FAQ:

10.9.4. Erlang should be object oriented

People coming to Erlang from object-oriented languages sometimes spend
a while trying to write programs in an object-oriented style in Erlang
before "seeing the light" and giving up. Several papers have been
published about how to "do OO in Erlang", including a chapter in the
Erlang book.

A common conservative position is to say that processes, asynchronous
messages, functions and modules provide the same ability to structure
systems as do threads, classes, methods, inheritance and aggregation.

An aggressive position is to say that OO is just snake oil, that
inheritance is error prone and that any system which doesn't model
concurrent problems         with concurrency in the program is
defective. Taking this position in newsgroups tends to trigger a
flamewar.

This article is one of the highlights of such a flamewar (follow the
thread to read the whole saga).