Structs (was RE: Record selectors)

Shawn Pearce spearce@REDACTED
Thu Jan 16 16:58:10 CET 2003

Miguel Barreiro Paz <enano@REDACTED> wrote:
> 	I suppose exception throwing mechanisms were invented among other
> reasons to simplify the horrible code that results from defensive
> programming; ie., after a few burnouts C programmers turn every function
> call and assignment line into ten lines or so (check whether results are
> valid, then do something sensible if they aren't, continue otherwise).
> Now, languages like Java do have exception throwing mechanisms, but many
> programmers insist on C-style manual result checking.
>
> 	Some people around does suffer from Java daily :)

Not that exception throwing helps any:

	InputStream		file = null;

	try
	{
		file = new FileInputStream(...);
		read from file
		file.close();
	} catch (IOException ioe)
	{
		if (file != null)
		{
			try
			{
				file.close();
			} catch (IOException ioe2)
			{
				// What do i do if i can't close the
				// file during an error? Assume it's
				// ok to ignore the second error?
			}
		}

		throw ioe;
	}

is just an annoying mess in Java.  Exceptions are not always
what their designers thought they would be.  I'm sure someone
here could come up with a better format for that mess though.
Personally, I prefer Erlang, but am told to write Java, as its
GOL.  *sigh*

--
Shawn.