Structs (was RE: Record selectors)

Miguel Barreiro Paz enano@REDACTED
Thu Jan 16 12:04:56 CET 2003

> >> The fundamental difference to most other programming
> >> environments is, I believe, the rule that "crashing is a
> >> valid, and recommended, way to handle bad data."

(...)
> >	May I quote you, print it in \huge{} and hang it all around?
>

> Oh well, anything on this list is quotable of course. (:

	I suppose exception throwing mechanisms were invented among other
reasons to simplify the horrible code that results from defensive
programming; ie., after a few burnouts C programmers turn every function
call and assignment line into ten lines or so (check whether results are
valid, then do something sensible if they aren't, continue otherwise).
Now, languages like Java do have exception throwing mechanisms, but many
programmers insist on C-style manual result checking.

	Some people around does suffer from Java daily :)