Advanced ETS Pattern Matching

Eric Newhuis enewhuis@REDACTED
Mon Jan 6 17:28:10 CET 2003

(My Trie has morphed into consideration of ETS pattern matching.)

Does anyone know if ETS can support pattern matching on "the rest of a
list of terms" if the key is a list of terms?

All my keys are lists.  I need to match on parts of the key and on the
elements near the head of the list.

Examples:

Given keys:

[a,b,c,d]
[a,b,c]
[a,b]

Find all three with the following pattern:

[a,'*']

Find the last two with this pattern:

[a,b,'*']

Find [a,b] with this pattern:

['_',b]

etc.

I think the '_' works.  But is there a mechanism like '*' that can match
the rest of an arbitrary length key that is a list, sort of like _='_'
in some other database module?

I know I could keep track of the maximum list length and perform
multiple queries appending '_' to the maximum length.  But that seems
yucky.

Sincerely,
Eric