Enterprise Erlang Beams?

Marc Ernst Eddy van Woerkom Marc.Vanwoerkom@REDACTED
Thu Aug 28 12:35:50 CEST 2003

>   - I don't think it would be good to try to imitate J2EE. Many J2EE features are
>   aimed at solving things that are non-problems in Erlang (as you pointed out
>   also). Maybe a better way to express the goal would be "implementing an
>   Enterprise Application Server".

The Apache folks just started with their own J2EE server "Geronimo",
I follow the list loosly to understand what that involves.
So far it looked like providing a lot different services, like
messaging frameworks. Part of that should be possible in Erlang as well.

I like the idea to provide Java equivalents (similiar or better features
but not implemented in Java).
Yaws is a cool example.

>   - On the web side, we would need a framework to bridge the gap between HTML and
>   the application. Custom tag libraries, or other templating mechanisms, could be
>   an elegant solution that is already in place. The semantic gap from todays web
>   design should not be large.

Stuff like struts.
I also saw attempts to provide Web equivalents of traditional GUI widgets.
Myself I had to recode a treeview widget in PHP latetly.

Regards,
Marc