ei_rpc_from speedup?

Rick Pettit rpettit@REDACTED
Fri Aug 22 17:21:26 CEST 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 08:48:06AM -0400, Vance Shipley wrote:
> File descriptors are opaque data types.  You shouldn't make
> any assumptions about what values they take other than that
> they fit in an int.  That file descriptors are assigned
> incrementally increasing from stdio is only a well known
> practice not a guarantee.  I'm currently working with devices
> which start at 257 and assign incrementally from there.

Are there systems that don't assign incrementally? Scanning 60,000 descriptors
(FreeBSD) when the highest descriptor in my FD_SET is 4 seems a bit
inefficient. I understand that portability is important, but is the following
really a problem on some systems (i.e. the only assumption made is that
descriptors are assigned incrementally)?

Couldn't this be dealt with in the autotools stuff?

-Rick