surprising behaviour for duplicate cmd line opts

Ulf Wiger (ÄL2/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Thu Aug 14 11:29:33 CEST 2003

I had reason to wonder what would happen if the -sname option
is given twice on the erl command line, so I tried it (in R9C):

$ erl -boot start_clean -sname a
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.3 [hipe] [threads:0]

Eshell V5.3  (abort with ^G)
(a@REDACTED)1>

$ erl -boot start_clean -sname a -sname b
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.3 [hipe] [threads:0]

Eshell V5.3  (abort with ^G)
1> node().
nonode@REDACTED
2>

$ erl -boot start_clean -sname a -sname a
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.3 [hipe] [threads:0]

Eshell V5.3  (abort with ^G)
1> node().
nonode@REDACTED
2>

I would have preferred an error message, or perhaps that the
first or last option be the one that counts. The current behaviour
when -sname is given twice is by all means consistent,
but it is always wrong.

/Uffe