The Erlang way - dynamic upgrade of a server and UBF extensions

Chris Pressey cpressey@REDACTED
Wed Apr 30 21:40:38 CEST 2003

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:26:42 +0200
"Vlad Dumitrescu" <vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> If I may drop my two-pence in this conversations, there are some
> things I came to think about:
>
> - the versioning problem is not UBF related. The same applies to any
> client-server communication. Maybe a protocol_version-negotiating
> protocol is needed, if there aren't any already.

Well, there's HTTP 1.1's Upgrade header field.  That would take care of
version negotiation, but it wouldn't help for trading cluster address
info.

> - about sending IP addresses in packets: seems a bit heavy on the
> band...

I agree, for both of these.  Negotiate version (and whatever else is not
going to change for the duration of the conversation) once at the start,
and you obviate the need to send it over and over again.

(Someday I'd dearly like to hear Joe's definition of the word
"everything" :)

I'm not sure if a supervisor is an applicable idea here, but I
definately think some kind of negotiation-upon-starting-the-protocol is.

-Chris